Thursday, May 24, 2012

Algebra Pranks

The perfect answer to the inevitable question, "Why do I need algebra?"

If the quote is not enough for them, you can try this:

I posted on the fridge that I would pay each of my children every day in dollars: X squared -19X + 90, when X= (or is greater than)$10.

They asked, "For real?"  Sure!

Then they worked it out.

Using 10 we get: 100 -190 +90= 0

Using 100 we get: 1000 - 1900 +90= -$810 

That's right, if they decide to let X= $100 dollars, they could each pay me $810. Every day.

You need algebra to survive around here!




1 comment:

anky said...

Thanks for sharing this and I am here to discuss about algebra that is,Algebra is the most important and simple topic in mathematics, Its a branch of mathematics that substitutes letters in place of numbers means letters represent numbers and In algebra 2 we study many things like complex number system change in symbols and functions etc.
algebra 2 problem solver