Thursday, May 25, 2017

Kid's Chemistry

Here's something I haven't been blogging about because I am essentially doing the Kid's Chemistry class that is in the sidebar.  At any rate, I recently completed another round with a fresh group of kids!
 One reason I didn't reblog the whole class was that I have a hard time teaching and remembering to take pictures.

But I wanted something for the portfolio, so here are some pictures from the last class, Acids and Bases.

Here the kids are pH testing a dozen or so household substances.
And here they are with the obligatory baking soda and vinegar volcano.

I was using it too explain the concept of limiting reagents: the volcano reacts until it runs out of it's limiting reagent (in this case acid), but you can add more until it stops reacting to fresh vinegar.  That means  base has become the limiting reagent, so you can add more  baking soda.
They were having such a good time I let them use up the whole gallon of vinegar and a fair amount of baking soda.

Vinegar is cheaper than curiosity!

The whole class is blogged here.

No comments: