Friday, April 27, 2018

The Lawn, or In Praise of Dandelions

More flowers!

Honestly, I love dandelions.  I never got over seeing a field of dandelions when I was 4. 

I know this is supposed to be the suburban gardener's nightmare, but if dandelions were difficult to grow, they would be really expensive!  Think about it: beautiful flower, interesting seed head, fascinating floating seeds, interesting leaf shape, and edible (and medicinal) leaves.

I love it that God didn't make them hard to grow!  Since they are so prolific, every child can make dandelion crowns from the flowers and blow wishes (or dandelion clocks) on the seed heads - play that never would be allowed on, say, a lotus.  I'm glad God didn't make beauty rare.

To me dandelions are an invitation to enjoy God's gratuitous beauty.

Have a beautiful weekend!

No comments: