Monday, April 9, 2012

Guest blog by Mxyl: Why I hate orange-kneed tarantulas explained

I got an interesting comment earlier from Grammie Ann about my previous post about how a giant orange-kneed tarantula could not possibly exist because the spiracles of arthropods could not allow it to breath enough to survive at that size.  This is true, and I should give you as much background as possible on the reason without endangering you.

First of all, they are not of this universe and are not true orange-kneed tarantulas (being aliens raised by swamp monsters, mermaids and humans can get you into really weird situations).  If you will imagine that you are in Universe 3 (a universe based on the 3rd dimension), the "tarantulas" are in from-- well, to avoid saying its name, it's sort of like a realm; a "pocket gap" between two universes, only larger.

Although they have the outside appearance of the common orange-kneed tarantula and follow the same basic attack patterns (which I really wish weren't true--it's really freaky when they rear up on you), the interior anatomy of a spytorr is entirely different.

They have lungs, which explains the oxygen problem, and they have ten eyes instead of eight-- the primary two for three-dimensional sight, three for "seeing" life, two that see in infrared, one for seeing color (going perfectly with the primary two, which can only see in black-and-white), and two on the sides of their heads which can "see" sound waves-- that's right, two of a spytorr's eyes can "hear".

And then you may also wonder why the picture looks so much like a photoshop.  The answer to that is: it is one!  I am beastly sorry, but my family and I were a little preoccupied during the battle, so we couldn't take a picture.  However, I tried to recreate the scene as realistically as possible in photoshop afterward.  I hope to show you a real photo later!

No comments: