Thursday, April 26, 2012

How's This for Real?

A friend dropped by to pick up some stuff and drop off a lovely gift, and stayed for tea.  At some point during a delightful conversation, she asked, "So, what are your kids learning?"

My mind went completely blank.  Up until that moment, I had forgotten that she's the Latin teacher at our local Classical Curriculum school.

All I could think of was, "Oh, you know....stuff."  Which I elegantly refrained from saying (barely)!

I came up with something like, "Uh, Biology.... and everyone is doing Math..."

Doh!  I'm totally blaming this on pregnancy brain.

Eventually, I also came up with the facts that Mxyl and Klenda had just written a book, Zorg that day had finished the last Pre-Algebra lesson, and we had recently finished the world's longest study of US History.

I should have brought up all the art, horseback lessons, ancient history, Spanish, fossil hunting, computer animation, and gardening that we've been doing lately!

Actually, I think it was just a polite question, and for all that I think of myself as "not particularly caring what people think," I processed it as "Are your children actually learning anything?".  The phrasing "what are they learning" threw me for a loop. I know a great deal about what I'm teaching.  What they are learning is inherently more mysterious, particularly since much of what they are learning has little to do with me!

 If I were able to do it over I would just say, "Why don't you ask them?"

The picture of the cute baby groundhogs are a complete ruse.  We found them under a barn while Marching Through Time - there were four, but I only got a picture of two.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Your kids must be better than mine at articulating what they do if you defer to them! Mine always gets the deer-in-the-headlight look and mumbles something incoherent while dh and I desperately try to coax him to not make us look like a bunch of slackers. Yeah, we make great spokespeople for homeschooling, alright. BTW, finally got a post up introducing the baby.

Queen of Carrots said...

Exactly! Mine would either say "nothing" or start talking about Plants vs. Zombies. They would never mention the Punic Wars or scientific notation. :-)

Wendy said...

Yeah, I'm sure they would have come up with something crazy! I can see Oob talking about Plants vs. Zombies - always impressive when your four year old is talking about zombies... Right! He's very advanced...

I guess I would prefer their deer-in-the-headlights to my deer-in-the-headlights! :P

I think home schooling and having a large family both make you feel like you're the poster child and have to prove you aren't ruining everyone!