Sunday, September 1, 2013

Poem of the Week

The Lamb

By William Blake
Little Lamb who made thee
         Dost thou know who made thee
Gave thee life and bid thee feed. 
By the stream and o'er the mead;
Gave thee clothing of delight,
Softest clothing wooly bright;
Gave thee such a tender voice,
Making all the vales rejoice! 
         Little Lamb who made thee 
         Dost thou know who made thee 

         Little Lamb I'll tell thee,
         Little Lamb I'll tell thee!
He is called by thy name,
For he calls himself a Lamb: 
He is meek and he is mild, 
He became a little child: 
I a child and thou a lamb, 
We are called by his name.
         Little Lamb God bless thee. 
         Little Lamb God bless thee.
HT: Poetry Foundation 

This poem is a favorite because it sustained me after Oob was born.  The doctor didn't sufficiently suction his mouth, so Oob aspirated some mucus.  It went into his lungs and it took him 5 days in the NICU to get it out.

I was so tired I could barely think, but I would sit, rocking Oob in the hospital while telling him this poem, and it would soothe both my baby and my spirit.

No comments: