Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Frugal Not Quite Gourmet

I love to cook and the kids love to cook. It's a good thing since we cook for 9 people 4 times a day (snacks and dessert are considered indispensable around here). Our favorite thing, really, is baking and I do it a lot: cookies once a week, bread twice a week, and various muffins, cakes, quick breads, etc a few more times a week.

One real advantage to all this time in the kitchen is being able to stretch the food budget. This is a high priority for us (9 people /1 income = need to eat frugally). Still, this isn't something I would advise for anyone who doesn't like to cook because I can imagine this being sheer misery if it isn't your thing: it's hard to put a price on your sanity!

One thing I do is buy my baking supplies at a baking warehouse. This isn't like Sam's Club or Costco, and they sell very few things in quantities smaller than 50 lbs. Still, I am picking up 50 lbs of "Sir Lancelot" (the King Arthur Bread Flour) for under $10, about as much as I would pay for 5 lbs from the catalog when you count shipping! I buy bread flour, pastry flour, sugar and oatmeal there, but if you have special food needs (like say a wheat allergy) this would be far and away the cheapest place to get specialty flours (soy, rice, powdered whey, etc.) To find a similar deal, check your yellow pages for bakery supplies and just start calling.

Another big money saver is to buy big what is locally cheap. Here in Maryland there are a lot of poultry farms and, once every 6 to 9 months, chicken goes on sale super cheap. I spent an hour yesterday with 50 lbs of leg quarters. They were 47 cents a pound! When I get meat on sale like this, I do all the prep work at one time.

With the chicken, I removed the skin and cut apart the quarters into drumstick and thigh, seasoned them (rosemary garlic, curry, taco seasoning, Italian dressing, whatever you like) and froze them down in labeled bags. They marinate as they freeze and then can be cooked in any way from crockpot to grill. We got 8 meals for us and 7 meals for other families not counting planned leftovers for lunches- as much as 20 individual lunches depending on how often we have guests for dinner (we take our dinner leftovers and package them as mini meals for The Emperor and Angel to take for lunch).

We'll eat from this chicken stash once a week or so, interspersed with other meat frozen down and our meatless meals. We go meatless two days a week and have soup with fresh bread once a week.

I'd love to hear from you how you stretch your food budget!

3 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

I'm going to look into the bakery warehouse...I spend a lot on flour!
Thanks for the great ideas.

PJH said...

WOW, Eric & Wendy - go buy more King Arthur Flour, quick! That warehouse obviously hasn't updated their prices yet, because other warehouse buyers are paying probably triple that for Lancelot... Really, stock up. Prices are rising all over. And - thanks for using our good flour! - PJ Hamel, King Arthur Flour

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the tip! I am about due for another trip. And I love, love, LOVE your flours!!