Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Circus!

No, not my usual life, I mean the actual circus!

I must admit, I had never been a big fan of the circus, largely because it seemed too much: too much noise, too much to see, way too far away to really see it, all for too much money. I had only ever seen a circus at an arena.

Surprise! 3 years ago I saw my first "Big Top" (in a tent) circus. It was the Cole Bros. Circus and it was astounding!! Everything felt like it was happening nearly in our laps! Clowns, acrobats, elephants and tigers! It was truly a wonder.

We've been anxiously waiting for them to come round again, and they finally did! Alas, this time around I was home with Oob and Choclo (Oob was still pretty sick) but the rest went and had a marvelous time.

Klenda's favorite was a very funny horse which acted rather like a toddler I know. The boys loved the motorcycles in the giant sphere. Leena liked the human cannonball. All the kids liked riding on the elephant (enough to spend their allowance on it!). The Emperor liked the acrobats and thought the clowns were the funniest he has ever seen.

It really was a fabulous time. The kids spent the whole next day drawing pictures and explaining all the things they had seen. Seeing their delight as they recounted their circus adventures, I might not have gotten more out of the circus if I'd gone!

2 comments:

Michelle Waters said...

That sounds really great. We've only been to the Barnum and Bailey and we vowed "never again!" It was everything you described in the first part and worse -- lots of scantily clad ladies on ropes. That was half the show!

Anonymous said...

I know that one ring circuses can be fun. I used to attend them in my former summer home of Mackinaw City, MI. However,you can't imagine the thrill of attending the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus under the big top back in the 1930's. It was a huge tent that held 7 rings and stages! The real live circus band was terrific. Lots of animals of all types. The menagerie tent was a real treaveling zoo. The side show was was exciting, too. That was back in the days when looking at freaks was still P.C. Ringling's was so big it traveled on 4 railroad trains! It even boasted two cook tents. One for the roustabouts with oil cloth on the tables and the other for the performers which had sparkling white linen table cloths and napkins. Those were the good old days when the Circus really came to town.